Table of Contents
IMPORT EXCEL SPREADSHEET
Category: Import / File
This action loads data from an Excel file. Supported formats:
- .xlsx (Excel 2007 or later)
- .xls (Excel 95 - Excel 2003 )
|Load file*||Fully qualified file name of the Excel workbook (includes relative or absolute path).|
|Source||The source of the data within the workbook. Options include: Worksheet names, Range names,
Worksheet positions, and Worksheet/range defined by parameter. See the table below for option settings.
|Select sheet name(s)||Once the Excel file has been selected, a list of worksheets within the file will display, allowing you to select
which worksheets to import.
|Add column with sheet name||Check this box to add a column to the dataset that lists the name of the worksheet the data was imported from.|
|Skip first lines*||The number of rows to skip before reading in your data. If your data does not start on the first row
(i.e., leading rows with metadata, blank rows), use this setting to skip these rows.
|Columns don't have headers||Check this if your dataset does not include a row with header information|
|Load all columns||This option imports all columns in the spreadsheet.|
|Load only selected columns||This option allows you to select which columns to import. A list of columns found in the spreadsheet will be
presented for you to select.
* Setting can be specified using a parameter.
|Worksheet names settings|
|Select sheet name(s)||Select from the list which sheets to import. Multiple sheets will be appended ("stacked") to each other.|
|Range name settings|
|Select range name(s)||Select which named ranges within the Excel file to import. Multiple ranges will be appended ("stacked") to each other.|
|Worksheet positions settings|
|Select sheet position(s)||Select which sheets to import based on their position within the Excel file (1st, 2nd, etc.). Multiple sheets will be appended ("stacked") to each other.|
|Worksheet/range defined by parameter settings|
|Parameter||Select or create the parameter containing a reference to either a sheet name or range name within the Excel file.
Note: sheet names are searched for before range names, in cases where sheets and ranges have been given the same names.
|Do not automatically offset imported range||By default, EasyMorph will align the first column and first row of imported data with column 1 and row 1
in the dataset. To prevent this, and to preserve the actual positioning of data within the source file, check this option.
|When a floating-point number can't|
be converted to a fixed point number:
|Options: Produce error (default), Convert the number to text.|
This action can import multiple files. See Importing Multiple Files for more information.
Example 1: You're importing a data range spanning cells C5 to E10:
To start at column 1, row 1 in the imported dataset…
In "Advanced settings", Do not automatically offset imported range (unchecked)
If you want it to preserve the range offset in the imported dataset (start the imported dataset in column 3, row 5)…
In "Advanced settings", Do not automatically offset imported range (checked)
Example 2: You're importing data from an Excel spreadsheet with the following properties, and you want the data to start at column 1, row 1 in the imported dataset.
- 3 rows of metadata (in rows 1-3)
- The data starts at column C
- There are no headers
Use the following settings:
Skip the first 3 lines
Columns don't have headers (checked)
in "Advanced settings", Do not automatically offset imported range (unchecked)
- SUMIFS formula in EasyMorph (Project; Module: Main; Group: Tab 1; Table: Book1.xlsx; Action position: 1)
- Data cleaning for data spread over multiple rows and columns (Project; Module: Main; Group: Tab 1; Table: separateddata test.xlsx; Action position: 1)
- Product-Of-Rows-In-A-Column (Project; Module: Main; Group: Tab 1; Table: Source data; Action position: 1)
- Split Excel spreadsheets into multiple spreadsheets (Project; Module: Main; Group: Tab 1; Table: Spreadsheet A.xlsx;
Action position: 1)
- “Merge another table” action - merge all columns (independently of the column name) (Project; Module: Merge; Group: Merge;
Table: Height; Action position: 1)
Fast ways to create the action:
- Press the "Add data" menu button. Pick "Import file" or "Import multiple files".
- Drag an Excel file into the application window. Supported file extensions: .xls, .xlsx
- Drag a folder with Excel files into the application window.
transformations/importexcel.txt · Last modified: 2021/07/18 01:59 by craigt